Monday 10 November 2014

November - Creative Workshops for Anti-Bullying Week

Hello Everyone! 

So we have reached November now, and  I thought I would write a quick post on here, letting you all know my 'good deed' for November. I have been trailing the internet searching for fundraising events happening in November,  and came across a few options 'Movember' was a potential winner considering the amazing cause it is in aid of, until I decided a challenge is a challenge and I was really making it hard for myself! So I opted for one which is just as amazing and worthwhile, but slightly more realistic! 

This month I will be running 3 Creative Workshops in a local primary school, in aid of this year's 'Anti-Bullying Week'!


'Anti-Bullying Week' is an annual event that focuses on raising awareness of, educating people on, and ultimately ending bullying. The 'Anti-Bullying Week' event is particularly focused on within schools, and the event is used to educate their students on the effects and consequences of bullying, whether this be through literary work, or creative work. 

Throughout November, I will be delivering 3 Creative Workshops at a local primary school, which will use drama techniques: such as roleplay and forum theatre, aswell as group discussion and reflection, in order to educate students from 5-11 years old, on what bullying is, the effects bullying can have, and how to deal with bullying. 

I am so excited to have been given the opportunity to teach the different aspects of bullying through theatre, as I am able to use my skills, in order to give people options on the way they act, and allow them to realise the choices they have the potential to make towards others, which is what I love to do, and what makes me very happy. Of course we all make mistakes and we learn from them, but I have always believed that the pettiest, most random comment can have such an effect on someone else, and this is something that can be so easily avoided. Bullying isn't just a comment or an action you make, it's a look you give, or what you don't say, even though you have the potential to make someone happier, bullying is when you choose to not take that opportunity. Throughout all of my creative projects with people in the community, I have always wanted to make it clear that I am not offering an hour of preaching disguised as theatre, but an hour to open your mind, and to realise that you have choices, whether you are 80 or 8, you have a choice to do the right thing, even to do the 'better' thing. Even though bullying undoubtably happens in all stages of life, I am excited to educate these primary schools students within their childhood about the choices, they can choose to take with them and consider within adulthood. 

Once again, I just wanted to thank all of you for your amazing support with this project, and I will upload a new post at the end of November, letting you all know how the creative workshops for 'Anti-Bullying Week' went! 

Be good! 

Kizzy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment